Wednesday 11 August 2010

Beginnings



So why am I going to Ballymaloe to take a 12 week certificate course in cookery?
well, it's complicated.
Firstly I love cookery and food in general.
Secondly I have always wanted to cook.
Thirdly with my children independent and the money saved I can do it.

Bit of a change after 35 years in Local Government but a long term ambition.

Why Ballymaloe?
Can you think of a better school?
Where else do you get a school in a 100 acre organic farm that is about the whole food experience not just cooking?

Why now?
last year I took part in Britain's Best Dish and reached the finals. The encouragement that I got from Ed Baines, Jilly Goolden and John Burton-Race persuaded me that I could cook, and (see the first paragraph) the rest fell into place.

So here we go. Or at least in five weeks here we go!
On 18th September I will be on the ferry and on 20th in my all new uniform I will join other aspiring cooks from all over the world in meeting Darina Allen and her crew of instructors and starting what could be the most important 84 days of my life.

This blog will chart my progress- or lack of it - and document the highs and lows of life as a cookery student at the world's best school. Read and enjoy.

2 comments:

  1. So exciting! I'm so jealous I could cry, make sure you tell us all the details - good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I'm SO jealous - can't wait to hear all about it. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete